Power and Influence
The Secret Language of Power and Influence
Leaders today are faced with a new set of challenges. They are no longer the expert in all areas as the pace of change increases. The new tools of leadership are communication and influence. Your ideas and strategy are only effective when you can motivate others to implement them. This is especially true as you build capabilities in the organization, develop and integrate new technology, and help others to thrive in changing roles, environments, policies and regulations, all while introducing new and innovative ideas that can disrupt ‘business as usual’. These skills are even more important for public-facing high potentials within organizations.
New ideas will only create impact if you can communicate them in a way that lives on in others and inspires them to take action. To influence others, as a leader in your company or a thought leader in the industry, you need to have a clear message and deliver it with confidence.
Established leaders and top executives who hold significant responsibility in their organizations – CEOs, directors, managing directors, C-suite executives, vice-presidents, board members and chairpersons.
Contents and Schedule
This Executive Program is highly experiential and includes a series of exercises and activities. Participants will be asked to reflect after each experience. Individual, pair, small group and large group discussions will be used throughout the course. Participants will receive coaching and feedback from the instructor and from other participants.
Participation is a large part of this program due to its interactive design. Optional recommended reading materials will provide a background for the discussions and input that will be used in the exercises. As many of the activities are in pairs and small groups, full participation in the activities is vital both for your and for the other participants’ experience.
July 23, 2018, Power
- Power, Status and Authority
- Status behavior and character
- Powerful Messaging: Planning Content
- Storytelling – Exploring structure and application to content
- Powerful Messaging: Practice
- Presence, confidence and peer coaching
The Secret Language of Power
Explore a framework for understanding and performing power supported by the latest data and experiential learning methodologies on power, status, and authority. Module objectives include:
- Obtain a deeper understanding of power, status and authority dynamics
- Establish a common language
- Experience behavioral techniques
- Reveal personal and organizational insight
- Learn the process and tools for developing clear and confident messaging and delivery
- Develop content that is targeted at an audience with a focus on motivating them to take action
- Explore the power of storytelling and how to create a message that will stay with people and be passed on to others easily
- Explore archetypes that we use in roles and broaden your range to increase communication agility
July 24, 2018, Influence
- The other dimension of power
- Influencing Others: Exploring and Growing Personal Range
- Content application
- Real world simulation
- Personalized coaching
The Secret Language of Power: Another Dimension
Experiment with hands-on practice and coaching using real world scenarios to master these techniques. Professional and peer coaching elements are designed into this Module for both personalized impact and sustainability of the learning back in the office. Module objectives include:
- Obtain a deeper understanding of the other dimension of power
- Observe and analyze the behaviors that underlie power dynamics
- Identify personal under-utilized areas of growth
- Develop a plan to grow that range
- Experience in-depth practice of new behaviors and techniques
- Explore a peer-coaching framework and best practices
Melissa Jones Briggs, Lecturer in Organizational Behavior, Stanford Graduate School of Business
On Faculty at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business (GSB), Melissa works as a Lecturer in Organizational Behavior teaching Acting with Power. This popular second year MBA elective uses performance technique to help students address their issues around power, authority and status. She teaches in the Stanford Executive Program for Women Leaders and the Executive Program for Women Entrepreneurs. She is a Visiting Guest Lecturer at London Business School in the UK, Aalto University in Helsinki, Finland and the United States Naval Academy. An honors graduate of Wake Forest University in the southern United States, Melissa also studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, The Actor’s Center Conservatory in New York and the Coaches Training Institute in San Francisco.
Outside academia, Melissa works as a Consultant and Executive Coach at People Rocket, a management design firm. She catalyzes leaders and teams at the world’s leading multinational companies, as well as early stage and hyper-growth startups. She offers personalized, one-on-one coaching, allowing her clients to fully expand their authentic range and drive growth. She delivers bespoke curricula, talks, workshops and full-scale programs – in creativity, innovation, leadership, diversity and inclusion and design thinking – rooted in thought partnership with global academic researchers and colleagues at Ideo and Stanford’s renowned school. Melissa’s passion for working with women to break down barriers to their advancement drives her career focus and commitment.
Program Fee and Registration
The program fee for the Power and Influence program is SGD 3.950 (+ 7% GST).
Register by July 6, 2018.